Ranma-Kun & Ranma-Chan

Ranma-Kun & Ranma-Chan

Friday, April 6, 2012

Z Fighter Ranma chapter 2

Z Fighter Ranma
A Ranma 1/2 - DragonBall GT Crossover Fan Fiction
By Michael A. Ivins

I do not own any of the characters from the Ranma universe or from DBZ. They are the property of their authors, publishers, etc. I make no money off the writing of this story.

Timeline notice: In the Ranma Universe this takes place just before the Saffron arc, so no failed wedding has taken place. In the Dragonball Universe it would be sometime during the GT series. (Bra is a girl in her late teens When Ranma visits.)

Chapter 2
How I Spent My Extradimensional Banishment

The group had relocated to the Nekohanten which was still closed. Ranma had resisted all attempts to get more information out of him. He only said, "It's a long story and I don't want to tell it more times than I have to."

At Ranma's request Cologne had called the Tendo Dojo and the Ucchan's restaurant to invite everyone to come by the Nekohanten. The Kunos were specifically not invited but Ms. Hinako was. Ranma had also said, "Please ask Akane to bring P-chan if he is there with her. He needs to hear this too."

Cologne just looked at him with a raised eyebrow, then complied with the request. It was nearly half an hour before people started to arrive and a full hour before they were all there. Ms. Hinako had begged off because she had papers to grade and needed to finish up with them.

Ranma had requested that tea be served to all of the attendees and had paid for it with a large gold coin. The Amazon elder had looked thoughtful, but had just shrugged before going to prepare the tea.

When everyone had been served, Ranma stepped forward and said, "Thank you for coming on such short notice. I'm sorry that all you were told was just 'He's back' but there is a lot of story to tell, and I don't want to have to re-tell it too many times."

The blue haired woman said, "Ranma dear, why don't you just write a book? Then when anyone who wasn't up to speed on the whole business showed up they could just read it."

"That is a good idea and I will probably do that after I've told these folks," the pony tailed man stated.

Then he bowed to the gathered people and said, "Again, thank you for coming. In case you were wondering, I am Ranma, the same one who disappeared from the vacant lot a week ago."

There were a few protesting voices but Ranma held up his hands in a gesture requesting silence. When they had quieted down, he said, "Elder Cologne, I trust you were able to figure out what that spell of Happosai's had done?"

The old woman nodded from her seat and said, "I told them that the spell had created a portal to a world in another dimension."

"Good," the man stated. "Did you also tell them that the speed at which time passed in that other world could be different from how fast it moved in this world?"

"I did," the Amazon elder affirmed.

"Good." the man said with a satisfied look. "Before I get to the explanations of what happened, I'd like to ask a question of Master Happosai."

A bit startled, the old man asked, "Does this mean that you recognize me as your master in the Art?"

Frowning a little, Ranma answered, "I recognize that you are a Master of your martial arts school. However, I don't recognize you as my master. In the time I've been gone I've become the grand master of my own school."

The old man looked ready to protest, but Ranma just waved him down and said, "Explanations will be coming. For now I just want to know if you had intended your spell to send me to another world."

"Oh." The aged pervert's expression was sheepish. "Well... that wasn't really what I was planning for the spell. I thought you were being disrespectful and I wanted to punish you. But if you had gone away I wouldn't have any way of knowing how you reacted to the punishment."

The pony tailed man nodded as if he had expected this answer. "Let me guess. You were trying to lock me in my girl form, weren't you?"

"Well... you see... that is..." The old martial arts master seemed to be having trouble finding words to say. Finally he said, "You're right, that was what I was trying to do."

On hearing that Ranma looked at the blue haired woman with a huge grin. He said, "Thank you Master Happosai. You just helped me to win a bet."

Good naturedly the woman bowed her head but then teasingly stuck out her tongue. Then as she said, "I really should know better than to make bets with you when it comes to these people. After all, you do know them a lot better than I do."

He bowed his head to acknowledge what the woman had said but then turned back to the guests. "Back to the matter at hand. In the world I was sent to time did pass at a different speed than here. It passed faster. For you, I've only been gone a week, for me, I've been gone for 35 years."

Most of the people listening were sitting silent in shock. However Cologne waved her staff in the air, trying to get Ranma's attention. With an amused smirk, Ranma pointed to her and said, "We're not in school so you don't have to raise your hand. Did you have a question?"

"How did you know the span of time that had passed in this world?" she asked.

From stuff space he pulled out a rolled up newspaper and spread it out to show them. "I bought this at the convenience store two blocks from the vacant lot. That is why I wasn't there when you and Shampoo arrived."

He paused and then pulled several colorful boxes out of stuff space and handed them to the young people who had arrived at the vacant lot with him. He said, "I'm sorry I didn't bring enough for everybody, but the kids asked for this and I wasn't sure if we would be able to have this meeting right away."

After passing out boxes of Pocky to his family, Ranma turned back to his audience and said, "I know you are going to wonder how I could possibly have been gone as long as I say, when I only look like I'm in my mid 20's. It would be safe to say that in the time I was in that other world I have undergone some changes."

"One of the changes you may or may not have noticed is that I now speak in a more intelligent, educated manner," he said. "I could go into a long, complicated explanation for that, but for the moment let's just say that I had some schooling. I will have details for you later."

"Why would you waste time on such a useless activity?" demanded Genma. "A martial artist doesn't need all of that."

"Ah, I wondered when we'd be hearing from you, Genma," Ranma stated.

Now confused, the bald man asked, "Why are you addressing me by my name instead of as 'father' or 'Pop?'"

The dark haired man shrugged and said, "At least part of that is because I'm now actually older than you are. Somehow it doesn't really seem appropriate to address someone that way when I'm closer in age to a 'big brother' to you than a son. While you may be my father in a purely biological sense, I don't have that feeling of kinship that would warrant my addressing you that way."

His manner serious, Ranma said, "To be honest it is not as if I have any appointments to get to after this. After all, I just got back to this world and haven't had time to talk to any people other than you folks. On the other hand I'm sure that you all probably have things you would rather be doing other than sitting here and listening to me."

He turned back to Genma and said, "With that thought in mind, I need to say, that I can remember how you are, Genma. I will say something and you will interrupt to defend yourself or to insult me. If you do that, we could be at this all day. So for now let's just assume that we all know what your opinion of me is. You think I'm a foolish boy. You also think that I am a dishonorable, disgraceful and ungrateful boy. I'm sure you would find some place in my narrative to put in that I'm talking or acting like a weak, useless girl."

The man wearing the bandana on his head, glared but didn't speak. It was true, after all. Those would have been some of the things that he would have said.

When the others looked like they had understood those comments and accepted them, Ranma said, "Well, people are entitled to their opinions and this is one of the countries where you are entitled to speak on that, no matter how little others want to hear it. I would ask you to consider two things to change in those opinions."

"The first thing is that, at the age of 52 I am a man, not a boy," stated the man with the dark hair. "Second, is that what I change into is a woman, not a girl."

There was a buzz of conversation at that. After a moment Ranma said, "Yes, even after 35 years I still have the ability to change sexes."

After a babble broke out, Ranma raised his hands again to try and quiet the storm of comment. He did again see Cologne waving her staff, so he pointed to her and said, "What was your question, Elder?"

"Why do you call it an 'ability' to change sexes and not a curse?" the old woman wondered.

"Ah, excellent question!" Ranma approved. "Such a question deserves a serious answer. It stopped being a curse and became an ability when I gained conscious control over it. For that I owe much to the blue haired woman you see seated at the table."

He whipped around and pointed at Genma. "I anticipate your question. You would want to know why I would even want to change into a weak, worthless girl if I have the option to not do so. For now I will just say that I have reasons and I will explain later."

Turning to the rest of the group, Ranma said, "I can see the question in the eyes of some of the girls in the room. You are wondering if that woman is another fiancée. The answer to that one is that no, she is not a fiancée, she is my wife."

That elicited a storm of protest from Ukyo and Shampoo and a look of sullen resentment from Akane. Ranma roared out, "Would you all just shut up and listen!"

When silence fell again, he nodded. He paused and pointed to Nodoka and begged, "Please Mom, don't let the word 'manly' pass your lips. Go ahead and think it all you want, just please don't say it."

Nodoka looked a little hurt, but she nodded her head. She assumed that her manly son had some reason for his request.

He looked around and finally said, "I couldn't hang around the place where I arrived in the other world for very long. It was in a wilderness area and had honest to goodness dinosaurs in it. Some of them were big enough that I wouldn't be more than a snack to them. I think it would be safe to say that hanging around my arrival point would have been dangerous."

"Part of that involved finding a sensei so I could continue in my training in the Art," he told them. "I asked around and found that the strongest martial artists in the world were said to be Son Goku and a guy named Vegeta. Goku was pretty much dedicated to a single student at the time and not taking any new trainees, but Vegeta had no students other than his son and daughter."

"At first Vegeta didn't want to take on any students, but about then I met his daughter. Her name is B'Ra and this is her. Well we hit it off pretty well and it was her that talked her father into teaching me. He is a harsh taskmaster but I learned. The style he teaches is very much of a brute force approach that emphasizes strength and power with little finesse."

"During the training B'Ra and I were around each other all of the time and we found that we really liked each other. Eventually we fell in love and we got married."

Ukyo, Shampoo and Akane all had sullen looks on their faces, but the didn't say anything. While they didn't like the idea that Ranma had married someone else, they could understand what he had been saying about believing he might never get back. They had to ask themselves if they would have waited forever to try and get back if they had been in the same situation.

"At this point I believe introductions are in order. The four people who came with me are my children, mine and B'Ra's. This fine young man is my son, Vegeta, named after his grandfather. He is the oldest at the age of 25."

The blue haired young man stood up and bowed briefly. His features looked more like those of his grandfather and there was only a slight resemblance to Ranma. He looked no older than 20 years old.

"Next we have Ranko. I named her with the alias that I used when I was hiding from my mother. She is 21 years old."

The red haired girl stood up and bowed. She bore strong resemblance to her brother Vegeta. Her read hair stood up on her head in spikes.

"The next youngest is Goku, my son. As you can see, he is the one who looks most like my male side. He is named after friend of the family Son Goku. He is nineteen."

The boy stood and as Ranma had mentioned, he looked almost exactly like his father at the age of 18. The only significant difference was that his hair was a pale blue Like B'Ra's.

"Finally we have my youngest, Doka. Her given name is really Nodoka, so obviously I named her after my own mother. She likes to shorten the name, so that is what we call her most of the time. She is seventeen."

The red haired girl who stood up looked like a virtual twin of Ranma's girl side as they had known her, only taller. Unlike her siblings, Doka actually looked her age.

At that moment the elder Nodoka commented, "When I was in high school I often went by the nickname Doka. Genma was the one who started calling me No-chan."

Ranma nodded and directed a brief smile at his mother. He then took a deep breath before saying, "To expand on what I said earlier about changing sexes. And I don't want to hear anything out of you, Genma. I've completely accepted my female side."

Directing his attention to the booth where his children were sitting, he asked, "Girls, who's your mama?"

Looking slightly confused at the phrasing of the question, Ranko said, "You are, Mom."

Casting a somewhat defiant look at his mother, Ranma stated, "That's right! I gave birth to both Ranko and Doka. B'Ra can also change sexes and she was their father. B'Ra is the mother of the boys and I am their father. B'Ra and I agreed to take turns on who would give birth. While raising them we switched sexes fairly regularly so they were able to get used to the idea."

B'Ra nodded, and added, "That let them get used to the idea of changing sexes so they weren't too freaked out when they gained the ability to do that at puberty."

Cologne urgently waved her staff. When Ranma indicated that she could speak, the Elder said, "What you are saying shouldn't be possible. Jusenkyo curses cannot be inherited, at least not that we of the Joketsuzoku have observed for all of the 1500 years since the girl drowned in the spring."

She paused and then added, "That also doesn't explain how your wife (or is that husband?) gained the curse. Are you saying that there is some equivalent place to the springs in the other world you visited?"

Ranma smiled warmly. Now that he was older, he could well appreciate the depths of the Elder's intelligence and time honed craftiness. It was good that someone was asking intelligent questions.

"First I would tell you that I haven't visited every corner of that other world," he reported. "However, if they have cursed springs, I have never heard of them from anyone on the other Earth. I made it a point to ask people who were well versed in such subjects and they all either said no, there was no such thing, or if there was, they'd never heard of it."

"As for how B'Ra can change sexes and how the kids inherited the ability, I intend to explain that," the black haired man stated. "I will say now that my ability and theirs are no longer the result of a Jusenkyo curse."

He looked over the assembled group and said, "Now to settle an issue that I know will be on the minds of at least some of the women here. You have met my wife and kids now and so you should know that I'm not marrying Akane, Ukyo or Shampoo. I would include Kodachi in that, but she would probably not recognize me now that I'm older."

"But what about my honor?" demanded Ukyo. "What about my dowry?"

"That arrangement was made with Genma," Ranma countered. "The only reason you even suffered any loss of honor was because of the way your idiot father reacted to the whole business. I still don't understand how he figured that my father running out on you was a rejection of your femininity."

He pulled a leather drawstring bag out of stuff space and tossed it to the chef. When she caught it she found that it was very heavy. She pulled the mouth of the bag to open it and found it contained large gold coins.

"I think you will find that the amount of gold in that bag is worth a lot more than double the value of that yattai," Ranma told her. "Since you seem to prefer a more stationary restaurant now, you could use that to fix up this place or move to a larger location and hire some help to expand."

"You can't buy me off," Ukyo said hotly.

"Ukyo, get real," Ranma commanded. "I'm already married and I've got kids older than you are. A marriage between you and me is never going to happen. Even the old agreement between your father and mine is no longer valid anyway."

"What do you mean?" the long haired brunette asked.

"The agreement was for you to become the fiancee of Ranma Saotome," the black haired man pointed out. "When I married B'Ra I married into the family name. I know I told you that I'm Ranma Saotome, but that was only because I knew you wouldn't recognize my current family name. I am really Ranma Briefs and all of my kids are Briefs as well."

He thought for a moment and said, "Don't think that the unfulfilled agreement between your father and mine might entitle you to a marriage to one of my boys either. For one thing all of my kids can be either boys or girls. For another they make their own decisions on who they want to date or marry."

"If you want to date one of my kids, then you have to go about it in the usual way," Ranma continued. "You can ask any of them. They could accept or they could refuse, that is up to them."

He turned to the Tendos and said, "I'm sorry Mr. Tendo but there will be no 'joining of the schools' through me. I could never really tell if Akane actually liked me or not, but I got the impression that she would be happy to get out of the engagement."

"If you are too old then one of your children will have to complete the commitment to family honor," Genma stated.

"Didn't you hear what I told Ukyo?" Ranma asked. "I'm not a Saotome and haven't been for 30 years. None of my kids are Saotomes. They are members of the Briefs family of West City. Your agreements have no force on my family. You want to make some kind of separate agreement with one of the kids, then you talk to them about that."

"But..." Soun began.

"I'm sorry Mr. Tendo, but that is how it must be," the pony tailed man stated.

"How dare you get married to some other girl while you were away?" Genma demanded. "That is something I would expect from a son who has no honor."

"Oh really?" Ranma fired back. "I was in another world and didn't know if I'd ever find a way back. As it was it took thirty five years to finally return. Would you expect me to become a monk in that time, maybe take a vow of celibacy?"

"No!" shouted Nodoka. "I wouldn't ask such a thing of my son. I, for one, am glad that you found love in your new home. And such fine grandchildren you have given me."

Ranma smiled at that. "I knew you'd see it that way, Mom."

At that moment Cologne spoke up, "And what of our claim, Son-in-law? We never made an agreement with the Saotome family. By the laws of our village you are married to Shampoo."

"Really?" Ranma challenged. "The Kiss of Death was given at the end of a challenge over food. There was no formal challenge. The Kiss of Marriage came after Shampoo basically knocked herself out with her own weapon. And there was no formal challenge there either. I would rate your claim as very shaky."

"It isn't your place to question the decision of the Council," the Elder proclaimed.

Ranma's form suddenly shrank a few centimeters and she stood before them in her female form. This was not the petite little redhead who had defeated Shampoo back at the village. This was a tall, strong warrior woman.

The red haired woman said, "I would like a chance to talk to this council of yours some day. I wonder if they would truly be willing to break up a marriage of 30 years. Could they take a father from his children or a mother? Would they really be that cruel?"

The old woman frowned and said, "I can see there is much that must be debated in the Council. I don't know if there has ever been any situation like this before."

"While they're at it, they should discuss whether or not the Outsider Laws really have any relevance in the modern world," Ranma suggested.

"3000 years of history..."

Ranma interrupted, "Are just that, History! Just because a law has served in the past, doesn't mean that it is still good now. The world has changed. If you want to continue to be a primitive tribe in an extreme backwater of the world, then by all means keep your antiquated laws. But if you really want to come into the 21st century, you need to look at your whole system of laws and start trying to figure out what to keep and what to get rid of."

The elder secretly agreed that the council needed to do that very thing. She didn't want to admit it in front of these other people. Perhaps they should let Ranma come and address the council. That was something that would need to be addressed later.

Ranma shifted back to male form and continued his story, "Before I go any farther in telling you about what happened to me specifically, I should give you a little background on the world I landed in. Even though they called it 'Earth' it was very different from the world we have here. None of the land masses are the same as the ones here and I don't think an expert in continental drift would be able to see a way that world could evolve into this one. They had a higher level of technology than we have here and at the same time there were parts of the planet that were more primitive than this world."

"In that world they have flying cars and a technology that will allow a whole car, motorcycle, even a house to be compressed into a capsule like this." Out of a pocket he pulled a case and from that he pulled a round capsule that had a push button on the end.

"B'ra's grandfather was the inventor of the capsule technology and because of that her family is quite wealthy. Her family has a rather peculiar tradition in picking names for their children. Dr. Brief almost never told people his given name. I'm not sure if he was ashamed of it, or if he just got tired of explaining. His name was Boxer."

"More on that later. The other world is more primitive because there are areas where there are real, living dinosaurs. There are also such animals as saber-tooth cats and cave bears. It is also different from this world in that there are dog people, cat people, talking bears and other creatures."

"It will likely interest you to know that B'Ra's father is an alien from a planet that has the same name, Vegeta. He is a member of a race of beings called the Saiyans. Another Saiyan living on earth was Son Goku, who I mentioned before. Goku came to earth as an infant. Since he was raised on Earth he regarded it as his home."

"For our honeymoon, B'Ra and I took a trip in a spaceship that was built by her mother, Bulma. While that is what she called herself, her real given name was Boruma or 'bloomer.' Yeah, that's right, she was named after girls gym shorts."

"Many years before I arrived, there was an alien being from a planet called Namek who lived on the earth. He went by the name of Kami, not to be confused with the kami of this world who are gods. The Namek named Kami created something called Dragon Balls. There were seven of them and when all 7 were gathered in one place you could use them to summon up a powerful being named Shenron, also known as the Eternal Dragon."

"As to why anyone would want to summon up this being, it all had to do with a wish. When the dragon was there you could wish for almost anything including bringing back people from the dead. After a wish was granted the balls would turn into ordinary stones and scatter. They would stay as stones for one full year, after which you could gather them together again and make another wish."

"If you want a more detailed history of that world, just go read from the manga, Dragonball and Dragonball Z. The world I lived in was what people in this world would consider a fictional place."

"On the Earth of that world there had been a problem with the Dragon balls. It could be said that the balls had been over used and that had caused the dragon to split into seven different aspects of himself. Goku, Vegeta and some members of their family had to fight the different dragons to save the earth. When they were done there were no dragon balls and Goku had ascended to take on the job of Shenron."

"Even though there was no one left on Earth to grant wishes, the Dragon of New Namek was still around. He was named Porunga and you could say he was the original dragon. He would still only grant wishes once a year, but that was more often because the Namek year was shorter. When he did grant wishes he could grant three at a time."

"Because of the problems that happened with the Dragon on Earth and even before that, the Nameks tried to only use the Dragon Balls for emergencies. They decided that if the could always use the dragon to pull them out of their problems, it would make them weak."

"However, when their original home planet was destroyed, they had stayed on Earth for a time and it was B'Ra's mom, Bulma who found a place for them to stay. To thank her for her hospitality, they had promised her that she or a member of her family could come to New Namek to be granted one wish."

He grinned and shot a look over at B'Ra. "It seems my love is as much of a genius as her mom is. She figured out a way to get a lot more mileage out of a single Wish."

Author's Notes: This chapter is mostly setup. A lot of this fic will involve flashbacks to what Ranma did in the DB GT world, and that is what the next chapter will consist of. I would welcome suggestions for adventures for Ranma and B'Ra to have in the DBZ universe.

About names: In various places I have seen the character who plays Ranma's wife with her name spelled Bra, Burra or Bulla. For my fic I thought I would use a sort of compromise. It still has the flavor of being a feminine undergarment, but doesn't have to be read that way if you don't want to.

2 comments:

  1. Personally I'm not a big fan of Ranma/DB crossovers, mostly because of the ludicrous difference in powerlevels between the two universes.

    Well, at least you turned Ranma into a saiyan. The problem is that I can't see anyone who could be a worthy opponent to Saiyan!Ranma in the Ranmaverse.

    ReplyDelete